214 Town Center Parkway #a-2
Santee, CA 92071
10:30 am – 8:00pm
Where can you guys get awesome subs, tots, salads, cool options like gluten free, and maybe a tasty beer while we’re at it? We’re at Growlers Sub Shack in Santee. East County Eats is all about showing you the coolest restaurants in and around East County. I’m Kyle Whissel with Whissel Realty, and this is East County Eats.Search Homes For Sale in Santee
If you are interested in being featured on a future episode of East County Eats, please fill out the form below to be contacted by our producer:
– Where can you guys get awesome subs, tots, salads, cool options like gluten free, and maybe a tasty beer while we’re at it? We’re at Growlers Sub Shack in Santee. East County Eats is all about showing you the coolest restaurants in and around East County. I’m Kyle Whissel with Whissel Realty, and this is East County Eats.
– Shawn, how are you?
– Doing good, doing good, good to see you.
– It’s good to see you as well. So tell us about the shop.
– Well, as you know, we’d been with the franchise for about three and half years, we weren’t happy with the direction that the franchise system was going as a whole, especially here in the California area, so we decided to make a bold change, a bold move, and do our own name. We kept a lot of the same sandwiches. We found that we could keep the same price point, improve the quality of meat and cheese, and all of our bread now is baked fresh daily by Gibaldi’s Bakery in El Cajone. No additives or preservatives. And we were able to expand the menu to give the customers more of what they wanted and be a little bit more responsive to the customer base that way.
– Well, I’m excited to try it, let’s get back in the kitchen, check it out.
– Follow you. Alright, so what are we making today?
– Well, Danella is going to make some Growler style tater tots.
– Alright, and so the tots, you guys aren’t dropping those in a deep fryer like a lot of people are. So how do you guys cook your tots?
– We use this oven back over here, it’s three-way combo oven. It uses convection, microwaves, and infrared. And what that does is ti gives you a good, crisp tater tot without all the grease added to it that you get from deep frying.
– There’s a ton of hot sauce over here, so talk to me about that.
– Well, hot sauce was something that we found over the last few years was very popular with the customers. And we decided to keep the hot sauce, and now, when we have customers come in and they ask for specific hot sauce, we have the ability to order it and bring that in.
– Alright. And then, so what kind of meat are we throwing on here?
– We’re using a sliced steak on there, put that on there. Looks like she put mozzarella cheese over top of it.
– There’s a mountain of cheese on there.
– Yeah. And the thing is, is if you come in on Tuesday and buy the tater tots, there’s no calories to them.
– Alright, so this mountain if cheese and tots and meat just came out of the oven, and now we’re going to throw some sauce on there. So tell me about the sauce.
– It’s Growler Sauce. It’s something that we came up with, you know, in the back there. We started mixing some different things together and sweeping out the kitchen cabinets, and we came up with our own sauce, called the Growler Sauce.
– Alright. Well I’m freaking exited to eat this one, I’m so hungry right now.
– This is a mountian of deliciousness.
– Yes, and there’s no calories, ’cause it’s Tuesday.
– Alright guys, I’m excited to dive into this. This has like everything. This is meat, it’s got cheese, it’s got tots, like, this is going to be delicious, let’s dive in. The way they make those tots, how they bake them, it really holds the texture so it doesn’t get all soggy. A lot of times tots are super soggy, but that holds it super crispy, a mountain of cheese, the sauce on top, the meat, this is really, really good, guys. You guys are looking for a great sub spot, awesome tots, all kinds of other stuff, you heard the man, they got a beer and wine license, that is going to be here real soon, come check it out, Growler Sub Shack, here in Santee. If you enjoyed this episode, make sure to share it, so more people can check him out. Thank you so much for watching this episode of East County Eats.