2441 Jamacha Road #106
El Cajon, CA 92019
Monday – Saturday:
11:00am – 10:00pm
Saturday & Sunday:
12:00pm – 10:00pm
Where is the tower of Babel in East County? We’re here at Happy Time Mediterranean restaurant to find it. East County Eats is all about showin’ you the coolest restaurants in and around East County. I’m Kyle Whissel, with Whissel Realty, and this is East County Eats.Search Homes For Sale in El Cajon
If you are interested in being featured on a future episode of East County Eats, please fill out the form below to be contacted by our producer:
– Where is the tower of Babel in East County? We’re here at Happy Time Mediterranean restaurant to find it. East County Eats is all about showin’ you the coolest restaurants in and around East County. I’m Kyle Whissel, with Whissel Realty, and this is East County Eats. Bah-dah, how are you, my friend?
– Hey, good. How are you?
– Good. I’m excited to be here. Heard a lot about the place. The Tower of Babel, I know we’re going to get to see what that is. But tell me about the restaurant.
– Well, basically, the restaurant, we opened about six weeks ago, and then, we already had the restaurant back home in Iraq for almost 13 years, and we had the idea to bring that restaurant, same concept, to Al Cajon, San Diego.
– [Whissel] That’s very authentic. So, tell me about some of the different types of food somebody’s going to find when they come here.
– Well, basically, since it’s a Mediterranean restaurant, we started from, we have the shaurma, we have the beef and the chicken shaurma. We have the kabobs, speh-tah-tika, and then also we have something that’s called the Tower of Babel, which people are crazy about it.
– I love it. Well, I’m excited to try it. Let’s go back in the kitchen, and check it out. All right, so we’re doin’ the Tower of Babel. It starts out with some special bread. So, talk me through this.
– [Owner] Yeah, so, this is our home bread, which is called the Tandoori bread, and then, this is basically fresh bread that we do in the restaurant, comes with all the entrees. Always we try to serve it fresh and then hot to the customer, so they can enjoy the taste even better.
– I’m excited to enjoy that taste. So, we made the bread–
– Now we got to get to the meat, so talk to me about the meat on this.
– Well, this is for Tower of Babel, we use a filet mignon, and, basically, it’s a premium quality meat that we get from our distributor, it’s Sysco. And then, this way we’ll use our house-mixed spices for it, and then we do probably two days before, just so we can make it more tender, and then, basically, the spice is going to be juicy while we cook it. So, basically, we’re putting the hummus, which is garbanzo beans mixed with tahini and some olive oil, and then we put in the plate as well a white rice with saffron to give it the yellow color, and then, we going to put also on the plate tzatziki sauce, plus mixed onions with some parsley.
– All right, guys, I’m excited to dive into this one. This is probably one of the coolest dishes that we have had on East County Eats. I don’t know exactly how I’m going to tackle this yet, but let’s get into it. Try to get a little bit’a everything on here. Let’s grab summ’a this bread they showed us. Getta little bit of rice on here, get summ’a this meat on here, get a little bit’a hummus. Let’s just dive into this beauty. Mm. That is so good. That meat, super, super tender, tons of flavor in that hummus, the bread is really tasty, guys. This is a really special dish. You haven’t had any Mediterranean food before, you need to come check this place out. Super cool people, super creative dishes, very authentic flavor straight from Iraq. You guys will love it here. If this is a episode you guys enjoyed, we encourage you to share it so more people can learn about Happy Time Mediterranean Restaurant down here in Rancho San Diego in El Cajon. Thanks so much for watchin’ this episode of East County Eats.