9225 Carlton Hills Boulevard
Santee, CA 92071
Monday & Tuesday:
11:00am – 6:00pm
Wednesday – Saturday
11:00am – 6:00pm
Where can you get some of the best cupcakes in Santee for humans and dogs, as well as acai bowls with homemade granola? We’re at The Cupcake Store in Santee. Welcome to East County Eats. East County Eats is all about showing you the coolest restaurants in and around East County. I’m Kyle Whissel with Whissel Realty, and this is East County Eats.Search Homes For Sale in Santee
If you are interested in being featured on a future episode of East County Eats, please fill out the form below to be contacted by our producer:
– Where can you get some of the best cupcakes in Santee for humans and dogs, as well as acai bowls with homemade granola? We’re at The Cupcake Store in Santee. Welcome to East County Eats. East County Eats is all about showing you the coolest restaurants in and around East County. I’m Kyle Whissel with Whissel Realty, and this is East County Eats.
– Yvette, how are you?
– Great, how are you?
– It’s good to see you. Thanks for having us back.
– Absolutely, it’s nice for you to be here.
– So tell us about The Cupcake Store.
– Well, we are a mother-and-daughter-owned shop. We do all sorts of cupcakes. We do vegan. We do gluten-free. We do sugar-free. We make macarons. We make cupcakes for the dogs. We aims to please, and then we change our menu every Monday. So we’re at about 60 flavors that we bake now.
– Okay, and then we’re going to feature an acai bowl today, and you guys do something a little different with yours.
– Yes, we make our own granola in-house. It’s nice and crunchy. It’s not too sweet. It’s not too cinnamon-y, and we put toasted coconut on top as well, which really changes the flavor.
– Very cool. Well, let’s go in the back and check it out.
– Alright, so we are making your guys’ acai bowl, but you do it a little different. You make your own granola. I’ve never seen people make granola, so I don’t even know how that works, so talk me through.
– This is how it works. We have a specific recipe that we use. We mix everything by hand, no mixer. We start off with rolled oats, and add our crushed almonds and then our special mixture of the Holy Trinity there.
– So, talk to me about, you called it the Holy Trinity. What all’s included in that?
– Our Holy Trinity is the cinnamon, the salt, and lots of love, and then our wet ingredients are canola oil and honey. So the reason, we stir this up like this, it has to be almost a, not quite watery, but a consistency that allows it to pour evenly over the oats. Otherwise, it’s going to be clumpy, and you won’t be able to chop it up when it comes out. So, what we do now is mix it in with the oats, and we have a sheet pan that we use. And it has to be totally flat because if it’s not, then it’s going to be done in more places than others.
– Alright, so now we are baking the granola, which, again, didn’t even know you baked granola. I probably did think it grew on trees, I don’t know. I have no idea. I’ve never thought about where granola comes from. So, we’re going to bake this. How long do we bake it for?
– The first go-around is five minutes at a time. You’re going to bake it for five minutes. You take it out, and you have to scrape it and get it all stirred up. It needs to be a certain consistency. You are going to spread it out again, and your going to do that five times. At least five times, and it has to be the right color or it’s not right.
– Yeah, it’s very specific.
– Who knew that much went into making granola? Alright guys, let’s dive into this. I’m excited to try it. I had absolutely no clue how much went into making homemade granola. Let’s do this. That is super tasty, guys. There’s a different texture to a normal acai bowl. I get acai bowls literally two, three times a week, but this is super different. It’s got a much more rich flavor to it, and it’s not this hard, crunchy granola that you get from that store-bought stuff. So really good stuff, you guys need to come check it out. Great acai bowls, killer cupcakes for humans and for your pups, which is really cool. Come check it out, The Cupcake Store, here in Santee. If you enjoyed this episode, make sure to share it so more people can find out about ’em. Thank you so much for watching this episode of East County Eats.